Welcome to Year 5 Class 12
Class Teacher: Mrs Ball
TA: Mrs Jackson
Spring Term 1 - Stargazers!
Journey through space – the final frontier! Let’s take a trip to the stars, planets and suns and discover the amazing wonders of the night sky.
During this half term, we’ll read information texts to find out about the Solar System and the Sun, using mnemonics to help us remember the facts.
We’ll make a Solar System and investigate the cycle of day into night. We’ll learn about Galileo, the ‘father’ of modern astronomy and his famous astronomical discoveries.
Taking on the roles of the planets, we’ll use movement to demonstrate the motions of the planets and moons.
We’ll investigate lunar myths and write astronaut poetry.
Then we’ll make a space shuttle or satellite, testing the materials for durability, and we’ll program toys to explore a lunar landscape.
In English this half term the children will be focusing on a range of genres including: mnemonics, myths and legends, free verse poetry, fantasy narrative and persuasive writing.
The children will be learning to:
- Note and develop initial ideas, drawing on reading and research where necessary.
- Maintain attention and participate actively in collaborative conversations, staying on topic and initiating and responding to comments.
- Select appropriate grammar and vocabulary, understanding how such choices can change and enhance meaning.
- In narratives, describe settings, characters and atmosphere and integrate dialogue to convey character and advance the action.
- Perform their own compositions, using appropriate intonation, volume, and movement so that meaning is clear.
- Discuss and evaluate how authors use language, including figurative language, considering the impact on the reader.
This half term the children will be focusing on various aspects of mathematics:
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and division
- Measures (including area)
- Geometry: Shape, reflection and translation
- Roman numerals
- Negative numbers
During this topic the children will be reading a range of non-fiction texts in order to develop their understanding about space and space exploration. We will also be reading a wide range of genres during daily guided reading sessions.
History - The children will learn about key historical figures related to space exploration including:
- Galileo Galilei
- Sir Isaac Newton and the discovery of gravity.
Science - The focus of this topic will be science. The children will research and learn about the planets and moons in the solar system. They will also learn about day, night and the Earth’s rotation. The children also will explore forces including gravity.
Geography – We will be researching space and the distance planets are from the sun, with a focus on the Moon.
Design and Technology – Making clay water carriers, looking at Egyptian food and crafting model tombs and pyramids.
Art & Design - Creating a nebula using a silk paints. Designing and making their own planets using a range of materials.
Computing - The children will be Computing and developing their skills to create databases. They will also use a green screen to make a rocket put it into space.
PSHCE – Discussing their perception and understanding of the universe and their place within it.
French – The children will continue the third year of learning French .
R.E – Discussing different religious beliefs and traditions.
P.E – Gymnastics.
P.E is every Tuesday afternoon. Please ensure your child has their P.E Kit in school.
Homework is given every Friday.