Welcome to Year 4 Class 9
Helping the children on their learning journey this year are:
Class Teacher: Mrs.Hession
Teaching Assistants: Mrs.Butterworth, Miss.Fitton and Miss.Taylor
Summer 1- I Am Warrior.
This Half Term we will be continuing on our historical journey as we study The Romans. Below are all the exciting subject areas we are going to be covering.
In literacy we will be focusing our writing around several historical accounts. Our class read is 'Escape From Pompeii.'
We will be covering the following genres of writing:
- Soliloquies - Romans and Celts
- Recount Of Boudica
- Play script writing
- Letter writing
- News report - The death of Julius Caesar
- Tourist guide to Egypt
In numeracy this half term we are going to be focusing on the following areas:
- Place value - ordering and comparing numbers beyond 1000
- Fractions - effects of dividing 1 and 2 digit numbers by 10, 100
- Fractions - counting up and down in hundredths
- Measures - length, mass, capacity and time.
- Geometry - position and direction.
- Fractions - decimal equivalents
Telling the time can be an area which children can find quite challenging. We would appreciate your help in encouraging your child to tell the time and to question them on differences of times, for example: how many minutes until it is tea time?
Our Science this half term is going to be looking at electricity.
The children will be looking at the following areas of the Romans:
- Creating a timeline to understand where the Romans came in relation to the Iron Age.
- Naming and locating islands that surround the United Kingdom – which are Roman?
- Comparing information about Boudica.
- Learning all about the Gladiators and naming the most famous.
- The everyday life of a Roman child.
- What the Romans have done for Britain today.
Spelling and homework
Children are given spellings on Monday every week to learn and their test is on Friday.
All children are now following the Rising Stars Spelling Programme. This is a Programme tailored to teach thof e statutory Year 4 spellings. Each week children will record the spelling rule in their spelling book and we will be also learning about this in class.
Maths at home
In Year 4, children are expected to know all their times tables up to 12 by the end of the year. The children are given regular tests and complete times table challenges throughout the week.
A good website to help the children practise their times tables and other number facts is :-
Children can also access Timetable Rockstars.
Thank you for your support. Please feel free to come and speak to a member of the Year 4 Team if you have any queries.