Welcome to Year 4 Class 9
Helping the children on their learning journey this year are:
Class Teacher: Mrs.Hession
Teaching Assistants: Mrs.Butterworth, Miss.Fitton and Miss.Taylor
Summer 2 - The Blue Abyss
This Half Term we will be exploring the Ocean with a Science and Geography based topic called 'The Blue Abyss.'
In Literacy, we will firstly be focusing on poetry and narratives about the sea. We will then be exploring the Shakespearean Play 'The Tempest,' exploring the story, characters and themes.
We will be covering the following genres of writing:
- Poetry writing - Romans and Celts
- Dilemma Stories.
- Explration of The Tempest - A combination of Drama based and writing activities.
In numeracy this half term we are going to be focusing on the following areas:
- Rounding numbers to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000.
- Statistics - including bar charts, pictograms and other graphs.
- Addition and Subtraction
- Fractions and decimals - rounding and comparing
- Consolidating learning
Telling the time can be an area which children can find quite challenging. We would appreciate your help in encouraging your child to tell the time and to question them on differences of times, for example: how many minutes until it is tea time?
Our Science this half term is going to be looking at sound:
The children will be looking at the following areas in Science:
- Identifying how sounds are made, associating some of them with something vibrating
- Recognising that vibrations from sounds travel through a medium to the ear
- Finding patterns between the pitch of a sound and features of the object that produced it
- Finding patterns between the volume of a sound and the strength of the vibrations that produced it
- Recognising that sounds get fainter as the distance from the sound source increases.
In Geography, the children will be looking at and locating the Oceans of the world. They will also be identifying the different layers of the ocean and its inhabitants.
Spelling and homework
Children are given spellings on Monday every week to learn and their test is on Friday.
All children are now following the Rising Stars Spelling Programme. This is a Programme tailored to teach thof e statutory Year 4 spellings. Each week children will record the spelling rule in their spelling book and we will be also learning about this in class.
Maths at home
In Year 4, children are expected to know all their times tables up to 12 by the end of the year. The children are given regular tests and complete times table challenges throughout the week.
A good website to help the children practise their times tables and other number facts is :-
Children can also access Timetable Rockstars.
Thank you for your support. Please feel free to come and speak to a member of the Year 4 Team if you have any queries.