Welcome to Year 4 Class 10
Helping the children on their learning journey this year are:
Class Teacher: Mrs.Cantello
Teaching Assistants: Mrs.Butterworth and Miss.Fitton
Spring 2- Ancient Egyptians
This Half Term we are going to be studying the Ancient Egyptians. Below is all the exciting subject areas we are going to be covering.
In literacy we will be focusing our writing around several non-fiction books. Our class read is Macy And The Riddle Of The Sphinx.
We will be covering the following genres of writing:
- Newspaper report - On Howard Carters discovery of Tutankhamun's Tomb.
- Fact file - Children will be finding out lots of information about the Egyptian hierarchy.
- Diary entry- Every day life of a slave in Ancient Egypt
- Instructions- On mummification
- Play script writing
- Tourist guide to Egypt
In numeracy this half term we are going to be focusing on the following areas:
- Rounding numbers including decimals.
- Mental methods
- Division and multiplication (including the bus stop method)
- Angles including triangles
- Co-ordinates and translations
- Area and perimeter
Telling the time can be an area which children can find quite challenging. We would appreciate your help in encouraging your child to tell the time and to question them on differences of times, for example: how many minutes until it is tea time?
Our Science this half term is going to be looking at the mummification process and seeing if the children can mummify a piece of fruit.
In Geography we are going to be learning about:
- Finding Egypt on a world map.
- Looking at the physical features of Egypt.
- Locating the River Nile and learning about the importance the river had to the Ancient Egyptians.
The children will be looking at the following areas of the Ancient Egyptians:
- Creating a timeline to understand where the Ancient Egyptians pace in our world History.
- Looking at the social structure within the Ancient Egyptian civilisation and how this compares to our society today.
- King Tutankhamun.
- Learning all about the Pharaohs' and how they ruled Egypt.
- The importance of death rituals for the Ancient Egyptians.
- The Book of the Dead.
- The Afterlife
- How Ancient Egyptians contributed to world History.
Spelling and homework
Children are given spellings on Monday every week to learn and their test is on Friday.
They have been learning and revising the Year3/4 statutory spellings and they will complete these over the first few weeks of the half term. They will then move on to spellings that involve 'prefixes' and 'suffixes.'
Maths at home
In Year 4, children are expected to know all their times tables up to 12 by the end of the year. The children are given regular tests and complete times table challenges throughout the week.
A good website to help the children practise their times tables and other number facts is :-
Children can also access Timetable Rockstars.
Thank you for your support. Please feel free to come and speak to a member of the Year 4 Team if you have any queries.