Welcome to Year 4 Class 10
Helping the children on their learning journey this year are:
Class Teacher: Mr Cairns
Teaching Assistants: Miss Pearson and Mrs Bloomer
This half term the children will be writing various genres some of which are; Newspaper report, Diary entries, Descriptive writing and leaflets. They will be:
– Organising paragraphs when reporting key events,
- Researching and recording information
- Using subheadings to organise non–narrative material
- Focusing on accurate punctuation in extended writing,
- Modifying and improving work through re-drafting
We are going to focus on children's handwriting and spellings this half-term. It is important that children are learning their spellings and include a range of language features in their writing such as fronted adverbials, personification and metaphors just to name a few.
To capture the essence and imagination of mountains we are going to be reading ’The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe’ by C.S.Lewis.
This half term the children will be focusing on various aspects of mathematics.
· Fractions and decimals
· Ordering numbers
· Negative numbers
· Inverse operations
This half term the children will be learning about Sound. They will:
· identify how sounds are made, associating some of them with something vibrating.
· recognise that vibrations travel through a medium to the ear.
· find patterns between the pitch of a sound and features of the object that produced it.
· find patterns between the volume of a sound and the strength of the vibrations that produced it.
· I can recognise that sounds get fainter as the distance from the sound source increases.
Art and Design Technology
The art and DT focus for this half term is going to be inspired by the scale of mountains. The children will be making contour mountains using Modroc and the children will be sewing cushions.
Children will be learning to animate different objects using Purple Mash software. They will create a storyboard where a scene progress, the progression will look natural when the children play their animation.
Children will be following the scheme of Charanga where they will be learning how to sing various songs and play instruments along to the rhythm of the music.
This half-term the children will be learning words and phrases they could use if they were describing others and themselves.
· Philosophy 4 Children which encourages children to think about questions
· Money and budgeting.
Spelling and homework
Children are given spellings on Friday every week to learn, which, should be returned to school the following Thursday (ready for the test on Friday).
All children are now following the Rising Stars Spelling Programme. This is a Programme tailored to teach the statutory Year 4 spellings. Each week children will record the spelling rule in their spelling book and we will be also learning about this in class.
Year 4 will now have PE on a Tuesday afternoon. Our focus will be cricket and the children will be learning a range of skills including; throwing and catching, striking the ball and different tactical approaches. Please ensure your child brings the appropriate PE kit into school on this day.
Maths at home
In Year 4, children are expected to know all their times tables up to 12 by the end of the year. The children are given regular tests and complete times table challenges throughout the week.
A good website to help the children practise their times tables and other number facts is :-
Children can also access Timetable Rockstars.
Thank you for your support. Please feel free to come and speak to a member of the Year 4 Team if you have any queries.