Welcome to Year 1 Class 4
Welcome to Year 1- Class 4 (some important information for the year).
The team in class 4 is:
Class teacher- Miss Mykytiuk
Class SEN teaching assistant- Miss Hall
Class teaching assistant- Mrs Charlton and Miss Taylor
Thank you to everyone for a wonderful first term in Year 1. We have had so much fun learning about Splendid Skies and Dinosaurs.
Our topic after Christmas will be 'Moon Zoom'.
CRASH! What’s that at school? Let’s go and take a look. Stand back everyone- it looks like a UFO has crash-landed! Find out who might have landed by exploring the craft and investigating scattered scientific specimens. Create a ‘Welcome to Earth’ box for an alien explorer. What can you put in it to help explain what life is like on our planet?
Would you like to be an astronaut? You’ll need a pretty sturdy spacecraft if you do. Start off by making an air-propelled rocket…..WHOOSH! how far can you make it travel?
Find out the names of the planets. There’s Mercury, Neptune, Mars and …. Do you know the others? I’ve forgotten the rest!
Then, an alien is found… can you help him get home? It’s got the experts in a right kerfuffle. Professor Pong doesn’t know what to do! Are you ready for the take-off Year 1? Hold tight…5-4-3-2-1…LIFT OFF!
- Recounts and posters.
- Character profiles- Beegu.
- Non-Chronological Reports.
- Science fiction story writing- Q Pootle 5.
- Number and place value.
- Addition and subtraction.
- Using and applying- addition and subtraction problems.
- 2D and 3D shape.
- Measures- mass, weight and money.
- Use tools creatively to make products.
- Use basic geographical vocabulary to refer to key physical factors.
- Manchester United will be in every Monday morning.
- Describe the simple physical properties of a variety of everyday materials.
- Identify and name everyday materials.
- Use observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions.
- Compare and group together a variety of everyday materials on the basis of their simple physical properties.
- Gather and record data to help in answering questions.
- Ask simple questions and recognise that they can be answered in different ways.
- Perform simple tests.
- Learn about the lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements.
- Learn about changes within living memory.
- Logging in/Logging off (Word processing).
- Animated Story Books (purple mash).
- Stories about Jesus.
- Dinosaur School
We ask that any homework for this half term to be completed and brought into school no later than Friday 8th February. Some homework ideas have been attached and the children can choose to do one long project over the half term or a selection of smaller projects throughout the topic. Drawings, writing, research from the Internet, models or photographs are some of the ways that the children can complete these tasks. Some of the children will prefer to think of their own homework ideas based on nature.
Spellings- The children will be given a list of spellings to learn each Friday. They will be tested the following Friday before getting a new list. The spellings will relate to the phonics sessions that the children have taken part in that week.
Library- Year one children will go to the library every Wednesday to choose 3 books. These need to be returned every week so that your child can change them regularly.
PE- Year 1 will have PE sessions once a week on Monday mornings. All children require an indoor and outdoor P.E kit for these sessions.
Open mornings- Elm Wood has an open morning every Thursday from 8.45am. This is a great opportunity for you to come into the classroom to look at displays, see your child’s work in their books and speak to the class teacher.
School uniform- Can we please ask for all items of clothing (and P.E kits) to be labelled with your child’s name or initials.
Look at our learning environment.