Welcome to Year 1 Class 4
Welcome to Year 1- Class 4 (some important information for the year).
The team in class 4 is:
Class teacher- Miss Mykytiuk
Class SEN teaching assistant- Miss Hall
Class teaching assistant- Mrs Royle
Our topic next half term is 'Dinosaur Planet'.
Stomp, crash, RRRAGH! Watch out everyone – the dinosaurs are on the prowl!
They’re rampaging across the dusty earth, swishing their enormous tails and baring their fearsome teeth…
Let’s explore the Dinosaur Planet! Imagine you’re a palaeontologist (that’s a scientist who studies bones and fossils). Dig deep and discover dazzling dinosaur facts.
Create your own dinosaur museum and invite visitors to see your awesome dinosaur artefacts. You could even do a dinosaur dance or produce some prehistroic percussion!
Which is your favourite dinosaur? The Tyrannosaurus rex, the Brachiosaurus or the Mircopachycephalosaurus?
Doyouthinkhesawus? Yes he did… RUN!
- Recounts about a memorable experience
- Fact Files about dinosaurs
- Dinosaur poetry
- Non-Chronological Reports
- Writing for different purposes
- Number and place value.
- Measure, capacity and volume.
- Use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination.
- Use a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
- Develop a range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space.
- Name and locate the world’s seven continents and five oceans.
- Perform dances using simple movement patterns.
- Participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending.
- Identify and name a variety of common animals including fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals.
- Identify and name a variety of common animals that are carnivores, herbivores and omnivores.
- Describe and compare the structure of a variety of common animals.
- Identify and name a variety of common plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees.
- Learn about events beyond living memory that are significant nationally or globally.
- Logging in/Logging off (Word processing)
- Painting a picture using paint.
- 2simple games.
- Discuss celebrations.
- Dinosaur School
We ask that any homework for this half term to be completed and brought into school no later than Monday 17th December. Some homework ideas have been attached and the children can choose to do one long project over the half term or a selection of smaller projects throughout the topic. Drawings, writing, research from the Internet, models or photographs are some of the ways that the children can complete these tasks. Some of the children will prefer to think of their own homework ideas based on nature.
Spellings- The children will be given a list of spellings to learn each Friday. They will be tested the following Friday before getting a new list. The spellings will relate to the phonics sessions that the children have taken part in that week.
Library- Year one children will go to the library every Wednesday to choose 3 books. These need to be returned every week so that your child can change them regularly.
PE- Year 1 will have PE sessions once a week on Friday mornings. All children require an indoor and outdoor P.E kit for these sessions.
Open mornings- Elm Wood has an open morning every Thursday from 8.45am. This is a great opportunity for you to come into the classroom to look at displays, see your child’s work in their books and speak to the class teacher.
School uniform- Can we please ask for all items of clothing (and P.E kits) to be labelled with your child’s name or initials.
Look at our learning environment.