Welcome to Year 1 Class 3
Welcome to Year 1- Class 3 (some important information for the year).
The team in class 3 is:
Class teacher- Miss Childs
Class teaching assistant- Mrs Ali and Miss Taylor
Our topic this half term will be 'Splendid Skies'.
Imagine floating high above land and sea on a bed of clouds, silently sweeping by on a billowing breeze.
Back down to earth, let’s take a walk outdoors. But what should we wear? Wellington boots? A sun hat? Maybe a warm coat? How do we know what the weather will be like today?
Read and write poems and postcards… and, if you don’t like today’s weather report, why not write your own?
Send a message by balloon. Up, up and away it goes, high in the sky and over the rainbow. How far will the wind blow it? Where will it land and who will find it?
What weather do you prefer? Sunshine, snow, storms or showers? Get your wellingtons on – let’s go!
- Recounts about a memorable experience
- Poetry about the weather
- Lists of things for a rainy day
- Instructions for getting dressed for the rain
- Postcards from a hot place around the world
- Write a weather report about the weather
- Number and place value
- Measures, length and weight
- Addition and subtraction
- 2D and 3D shapes
- Use drawing, painting and sculpture to share their ideas, experiences and imagination.
- Learn about the work of a range of artists and make links to own work.
- Develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space.
- Identify seasonal and daily weather patterns in the UK and the location of hot and cold countries of the world.
- Use basic geographical vocabulary to refer to key physical features including season and weather.
- Use aerial photographs, recognise landmarks and basic human and physical features; devise a simple map; and use and construct basic symbols in a key.
- Perform dances using simple movement patterns.
- Observe changes across the four seasons.
- Observe closely, using simple equipment.
- Use their observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions.
- Gather and record data to help in answering questions.
- Perform simple tests.
- Observe and describe weather associated with the seasons and how day length varies.
- Learn about the lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements.
- Logging in/Logging off (Word processing)
- Painting a picture using paint.
- 2simple games.
- Discuss belonging to a family, friends, groups.
- Dinosaur School
We ask that any homework for this half term to be completed and brought into school no later than Monday 14th October. Some homework ideas have been attached and the children can choose to do one long project over the half term or a selection of smaller projects throughout the topic. Drawings, writing, research from the Internet, models or photographs are some of the ways that the children can complete these tasks. Some of the children will prefer to think of their own homework ideas based on animals.
Library- Year one children will go to the library every Wednesday to choose 3 books. These need to be returned every week so that your child can change them regularly.
PE- Year 1 will have PE sessions once a week on Monday mornings. All children require an indoor and outdoor P.E kit for these sessions.
Open mornings- Elm Wood has an open morning every Thursday from 8.45am. This is a great opportunity for you to come into the classroom to look at displays, see your child’s work in their books and speak to the class teacher.
School uniform- Can we please ask for all items of clothing (and P.E kits) to be labelled with your child’s name or initials.