Welcome to Year 5 Class 12
Class Teacher - Miss Childs
TA: Mrs Harris/Mr Berry
*PE will take place on Monday so please ensure your child has an indoor kid*
Spellings and homework
Your child will be given spellings and homework in their learning log on Friday every week. Our spelling test is on the following Friday, which gives them a full week to prepare and practise at home.
Please ensure your child's Learning log is completed and in class for Wednesday (Thursday at the latest).
Spring 1 - Stargazers
Journey through space – the final frontier! Let’s take a trip to the stars, planets and suns and discover the amazing wonders of the night sky.
During this half term, we’ll read information texts to find out about the Solar System and the Sun, using mnemonics to help us remember the facts.
We’ll make a Solar System and investigate the cycle of day into night. We’ll learn about Galileo, the ‘father’ of modern astronomy and his famous astronomical discoveries.
Taking on the roles of the planets, we’ll use movement to demonstrate the motions of the planets and moons.
We’ll investigate lunar myths and write astronaut poetry.
Then we’ll make a space shuttle or satellite, testing the materials for durability, and we’ll program toys to explore a lunar landscape.
In English this half term the children will be focusing on a range of genres including: mnemonics, myths and legends, free verse poetry, fantasy narrative and persuasive writing.
The children will be learning to:
- En W C 1b Note and develop initial ideas, drawing on reading and research where necessary.
- En SL 6 Maintain attention and participate actively in collaborative conversations, staying on topic and initiating and responding to comments.
- En W C 2a Select appropriate grammar and vocabulary, understanding how such choices can change and enhance meaning.
- En W C 2b In narratives, describe settings, characters and atmosphere and integrate dialogue to convey character and advance the action.
- En W C 5 Perform their own compositions, using appropriate intonation, volume, and movement so that meaning is clear.
- En R C 3 Discuss and evaluate how authors use language, including figurative language, considering the impact on the reader.
During this topic the children will be reading a range of non-fiction texts in order to develop their understanding about space and space exploration. We will also be reading a wide range of genres during daily guided reading sessions.
This half term the children will be focusing on various aspects of mathematics:
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and division
- Measures (including area)
- Geometry: Shape, reflection and translation
- Roman numerals
- Negative numbers
History – The children will learn about key historical figures related to space exploration including:
- Galileo Galilei
- Sir Isaac Newton and the discovery of gravity.
Geography – Using a range of aerial images of the Earth to identify geographical features such as countries, continents, volcanoes, rivers and impact craters. They will also use globes and maps to make their identifications.
Science – The focus of this topic will be science. The children will research and learn about the planets and moons in the solar system. They will also learn about day, night and the Earth’s rotation. The children also will explore forces including gravity.
Computing – The children will be Computing and developing their skills to create databases. They will also use a green screen to make a rocket put it into space.
Art & Design – Creating a nebula using a silk paints. Designing and making their own planets using a range of materials.
Design & Technology – Making clay water carriers, looking at Egyptian food and crafting model tombs and pyramids.
PSHCE – Discussing their perception and understanding of the universe and their place within it.
P.E – PE will be on Monday afternoon so the children will need to bring in appropriate kit for this session. The lessons for this half term are football skills and sports science, so will take place in the hall and the children will need an indoor kit.
R.E – Discussing different religious beliefs and traditions.
French – The children will be going onto the third year of learning French. They will focus on basic sentences to do with feelings, family and life.