Welcome to Year 5 Class 11
Class Teacher - Miss Richardson
TA: Mrs Jackson
*P.E is every Tuesday afternoon. Please ensure your child has their P.E Kit in school.*
*Homework is given every Friday and is due back the following Thursday.*
Autumn Term 1 - Pharaohs!
Let’s travel back 5000 years to the dusty realms of ancient Egypt. Cruise along the Nile, entering a world of mysteries and curses, mummies and kings.
Find out about life on the river’s fertile banks, discovering Egypt and its fascinating culture.
Unravel the secrets of ancient tombs, using historical sources and old-aged artefacts. Find out about powerful pharaohs and grandiose gods! Make yourself a nemes and you’ll really look the part!
Become an apprentice and work for Ramose; he’s the chief embalmer at the Beautiful House. Help him prepare a body for its journey to the afterlife.
Now open the doorway to ancient Egypt – who knows what treasures you’ll find?
In English this half term we will be focusing on a range of writing genres such as: chronological reports, fact files, research skills, stories and play scripts. The children will be learning to:
- Note and develop initial ideas, drawing on reading and research where necessary.
- Propose changes to vocabulary, grammar and punctuation to enhance effects and clarify meaning.
- Identify the audience for and purpose of the writing, selecting the appropriate form and using other similar writing as models for their own.
- In writing narratives, consider how authors have developed characters and settings in what pupils have read, listened to or seen performed.
This half term we will be focusing on various aspects of mathematics:
- Place value of numbers up to 6 digits.
- Place value of decimal numbers.
- Mental addition and subtraction.
- Measuring and drawing angles.
- Finding the area and perimeter.
- Written method for addition and subtraction.
During this topic we will be reading a range of non-fiction texts about the Pharaoh’s in order to research facts about Ancient Egypt. We will also be reading a wide range of different genres during daily, guided reading sessions.
History - We will research historical events, create timelines remembering key facts from a period of history and organise and record relevant information that describe specific events.
Science - For Science this half term the children will participate in a number of Love to Investigate tasks throughout the term.
Geography – We will be researching human and physical features of Egypt and the River Nile and finding out about tourism.
Design and Technology – Making clay water carriers, looking at Egyptian food and crafting model tombs and pyramids.
Art & Design - Drawing artefacts, designing and making headwear and making hieroglyphic amulets.
Computing - The children will be creating eBooks using the iPads and the app ‘bookcreator’.
PSHCE – Discussing moral issues, looking at our British Values, finding out customs and beliefs and role-playing Egyptian citizens.
French – The children will be going onto their fourth year of learning French.
R.E – Discussing different ‘Miracle’ stories and their meaning.
P.E – Gymnastic skills.