Welcome to Year 1 Class 4
Welcome to Year 1- Class 4 (some important information for the year).
The team in class 4 is:
Class teacher- Miss Jones
Student teacher- Miss Mykytiuk
Class teaching assistant- Mrs Linger
Class teaching assistant- Mrs Royle
In Year 1 our topic for after Christmas is Moon Zoom.
CRASH! What’s that at school? Let’s go and take a look. Stand back everyone- it looks like a UFO has crash-landed! Find out who might have landed by exploring the craft and investigating scattered scientific specimens. Create a ‘Welcome to Earth’ box for an alien explorer. What can you put in it to help explain what life is like on our planet?
Would you like to be an astronaut? You’ll need a pretty sturdy spacecraft if you do. Start off by making an air-propelled rocket…..WHOOSH! how far can you make it travel?
Find out the names of the planets. There’s Mercury, Neptune, Mars and …. Do you know the others? I’ve forgotten the rest!
Then, an alien is found… can you help him get home? It’s got the experts in a right kerfuffle. Professor Pong doesn’t know what to do! Are you ready for the take-off Year 1? Hold tight…5-4-3-2-1…LIFT OFF!
- Recounts and posters.
- Character profiles- Beegu.
- Non-Chronological Reports.
- Science fiction story writing- Q Pootle 5.
- Number and place value.
- Addition and subtraction.
- Using and applying- addition and subtraction problems.
- 2D and 3D shape.
- Measures- mass, weight and money.
Art: Paper Machie Planets.
- Use tools creatively to make products.
Geography: Views of Earth from Space.
- Use basic geographical vocabulary to refer to key physical factors.
PE: Ball skills.
- Throwing and catching skills.
- Kicking and rolling.
Science: Everyday Materials.
- Describe the simple physical properties of a variety of everyday materials.
- Identify and name everyday materials.
- Use observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions.
- Compare and group together a variety of everyday materials on the basis of their simple physical properties.
- Gather and record data to help in answering questions.
- Ask simple questions and recognise that they can be answered in different ways.
- Perform simple tests.
History: Space travel.
- Learn about the lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements.
- Learn about changes within living memory.
- Logging in/Logging off (Word processing).
- Animated Story Books (purple mash).
- Stories about Jesus.
- Dinosaur School
We ask that any homework for this half term on to be completed and brought into school no later than Monday 5th February. Some homework ideas have been attached and the children can choose to do one long project over the half term or a selection of smaller projects throughout the topic. Drawings, writing, research from the Internet, models or photographs are some of the ways that the children can complete these tasks. Some of the children will prefer to think of their own homework ideas based on space.
Spellings- The children will be given a list of spellings to learn each Friday. They will be given a book to practise these spellings in at home. They will be tested the following Friday before getting a new list. The spellings will relate to the phonics sessions that the children have taken part in that week.
Library- Year one children will go to the library every Friday to choose 3 books. These need to be returned every week so that your child can change them regularly.
PE- Year 1 will have PE sessions once a week on Thursday mornings. All children require an outdoor P.E kit for these sessions.
Open mornings- Elm Wood has an open morning every Thursday from 8.45am. This is a great opportunity for you to come into the classroom to look at displays, see your child’s work in their books and speak to the class teacher.
School uniform- Can we please ask for all items of clothing to be labelled with your child’s name or initials.
Look at our learning environment.